They say a dog is a man’s best friend. But that can’t be true. In fact, I know it’s not. I have a best friend, and I have a dog. There’s a huge difference…
- A best friend doesn’t wait at your door, overjoyed with excitement for the moment you come home.
- A best friend doesn’t stand by outside the shower to help you dry your feet (or lick them) when you get out.
- A best friend doesn’t give you kisses and dry your tears every time you cry.
- A best friend doesn’t agree with you, no matter what you say or do.
- A best friend doesn’t sleep on your pillow, and isn’t always by your side.
- A best friend doesn’t watch over you and every minute of every day, and can’t protect you at night.
- A best friend can’t bring you joy in your deepest moments of darkness.
This weekend I was reminded just how much my pets mean to me. How much they mean to our whole family. And how much a beautiful, kind, and loving dog named Opie touched all of our hearts, and we didn’t even know it.
We lost Opie, my mom’s baby, in a terrible accident. None of us saw it coming, none of us knew it was happening, and none of us could have done anything to predict it or stop it. I keep replaying it over and over in my mind. Every time I close my eyes, Opie is there.
My heart broke this weekend. And it breaks a little more every time I think about it. And I keep wondering why God decided it was his time, and why God took him in the way that he did. I wish God gave us do-overs. Even if we only got one in a lifetime, I would have used mine that night.
Opie was everything a best friend could never be for my mom. And God took him too soon. I have to think there was a reason; I have to believe that Opie died to remind us just how much our puppies mean to us. I have to believe that it was to show us that we sometimes take those amazing and beautiful creatures for granted. And to tell us to love and cherish them each and every day. Because even though we don’t want to think about it, their time with us is short. Love them before they’re gone.
You were so much more than a best friend. Lesson learned, Opie. Lesson learned. Rest in peace, little guy.